Donald Trump is still planning to pull out of the Paris climate change agreement unless the UN can offer ‘better terms,’ despite claims to the contrary, the White House has said.
Two members of a recent international meeting said that a White House representative had said the US would maintain the accord, The Wall Street Journal reported earlier on Saturday.
But the White House says that’s nonsense – and that Trump is still planning his climate exit unless he gets the changes he wants.
According to the Wall Street Journal, the initial remarks about Trump reversing his decision to pull out of the agreement were made at an international meeting in Montreal.
That meeting had seen ministers from 30 countries, including Canada and Britain, discussing US climate-change goals with White House senior adviser Everett Eissenstat.
Two people at the meeting said that they were told America would instead seek compromises within the existing framework rather than renegotiating it.
‘They are seriously considering the terms on which the US could re-engage,’ one of the officials at the meeting.
‘They have also made clear that they have no intention to renegotiate or develop a parallel track to Paris.’
Those remarks were reiterated by Miguel Arias Canete, European commissioner for climate action and energy.
He said: ‘The US has stated that they will not renegotiate the Paris accord, but they will try to review the terms on which they could be engaged under this agreement.’
He claimed that America ‘has stated that they will not renegotiate the Paris accord.’
That would contradict Trump’s promise in June that he would pull out unless it was either renegotiated or scrapped and started again.
‘The Paris accord is very unfair at the highest level to the United States,’ Trump claimed on June 1.